This article applies to Contextual Commerce. (Looking for Classic Commerce documentation?)
Best Practices with Upsells
Some marketers warn against offering upsell products that increase the overall order by more than 25%, offering upsell products that are unfamiliar to customers, or offering too many upsell products, as this may overwhelm customers and actually decrease your overall conversion rates. Upselling tends to work best when there is a relatively small difference in price between the original product and the upsell product (so they are in the same price range), when the upsell product has the same features and brand as the original product, and when the upsell product is a full substitute for the original product. They tend not to work when the main features of the upsell do not match the original product and when the main advantage of the upsell (compared to the chosen product) is unclear.
This article will teach you how to create an upsell on on a product. The article assumes that the initial / driving product and the accompanying, upsell product have already been set up in your Store.
To Create an Upsell Offer
- From the Dashboard, select the Products menu, and then select Products, Bundles or Subscriptions depending on what type of product will cause the upsell offer to be displayed.
- Click the tile of the product, bundle or subscription that will cause the upsell offer to be displayed when a purchaser selects it.
- At the lower left-hand corner of the product's details, click ADD PRODUCT OFFER.
- The Add Product Offer popup window will appear. Select the Up-sell option.
- In the Display field, you can optionally enter a marketing message that will be shown when the upsell offer is presented. If your Store supports multiple languages, you can click the language drop-down selector and enter the message in each supported language. Some suggestions for the Display field include "Take Advantage of This Special Offer", "Consider an Upgrade", and "May We Suggest").
The Placement field is only applicable when you offer more than one upsell or cross-sell item for the same product, bundle or subscription. You can use the Placement field to control the sequence in which the cross-sell and upsell products will be listed on the Web Storefront. Position #1 would be the topmost among all offers, Position #2 would come next, and so on. When you are setting up the first cross-sell or upsell offer for a product, only Position #1 will be available in this field.
Offering Cross-sells and Upsells Together?If you offer both a cross-sell and an upsell on the same base product, we recommend that you set the upsell product to Position #1 so that it will be presented closest to the product selected by the customer if cross-sells and upsells are grouped together.
- In the Products field, being typing the title of the product that will be offered as an upsell. This can be an original product or a product variation (e.g. if you want to offer a discount to motivate customers to accept the upsell offer). Search results will instantly appear just under the Products field, and will be updated each time you type a character.
- Select the product from the drop-down search results below the field. You can also repeat this process to add additional products as upsell offers. You can also click Remove if you make a mistake or need to change the product being offered as an upsell.
- Click SAVE to complete the process. The Up-sell field will now appear on the product detail page, as shown below. You can click anywhere on that line to edit the offer.
Once you have completed setting up an upsell, it will be offered on your Web Storefronts whenever a purchaser selects the product. Here is an example of the upsell that we set up above:
The placement of the upsell offerings on the pages of your Storefront can controlled by accessing Storefronts > Web Storefronts > SETTINGS (for your selected Storefront) > Promotions.