This article applies to Contextual Commerce. (Looking for Classic Commerce documentation?)
The Products menu in the Dashboard lets you manage products, bundles, and subscriptions. You can set up volume discounts and other types of discounts (e.g. for a temporary seasonal promotion), as well as cross-sell and up-sell offers, product options and product fulfillment methods for each product.
When you choose Products from the menu at the top of the Dashboard, the Products tab is selected by default.
With the Products tab selected, you can see a list of all the products that have been created in your store, with the exception of any bundles or subscription-based products, which have their own tabs.
The Search field just below the tabs lets you search the list of products, and you can sort the list using the Sort By field.
The value you enter in the Search field will be compared to product IDs and the products' display text, as well as the product ID and display name of any product variations. The search is case-insensitive and does not support wildcards.
By clicking the Sort By drop-down selector, you can sort the list by the product ID, Display name, or with the Newest (most recently added) products first. By default, the list is sorted by product ID.
Please click a link to jump to the corresponding section of this document
- To create a product
- To configure product fulfillment
- To edit a product
- To delete a product
- Product options, product offers, and variations
To create a product
If you need to create a product from scratch, use the following procedure. However, if you want to use an existing product as a starting point, one way to do that is to make a copy of an existing product and modify the copy.
To copy an existing product
- From the Products tab, click the tile of the product you want to copy.
- On the product detail page, click the COPY command near the bottom of the page.
- In the New Product ID field, enter a product path / product ID for the new product. Do not include spaces or punctuation, or you may encounter an error message upon saving the copy. The product ID is used to reference the product internally, and it will also be visible in the URL for the Product Page.
- In the Display field, enter a product title / display name for the new product, which will be shown on the Product Page or wherever the product is mentioned in your Storefront. This is also sometimes called the display name or the display text. You can change the title later if need be. If your Store supports multiple languages, click the language drop-down and enter the product title in each supported language.
- Click .
- Click near the top right-hand corner of the page. The Add Product window will appear.
- In the field labeled Product Title displayed to the customer, enter a product title that will be shown on the Product Page or wherever the product is mentioned in your Storefront. This is also sometimes called the display name or the display text. You can change the title later if need be. If your Store supports multiple languages, click the drop-down for the language selector and enter the product title in each language.
In the Product Path field, a default value will automatically be created based on the product title. The product path is also sometimes called the product ID. You can override the product ID at this time if desired, but you will not be able to do so once the product has been saved (except by deleting the product and creating a new one). The product ID cannot contain spaces, punctuation, or certain special characters. The product ID is used to reference the product internally, and it will also be visible in the URL for the Product Page.
CautionThe product path / product ID must be greather than two characters in length. If the value in this field is shorter than two characters, an error message will be displayed when you click CREATE, and you will need to start the over at step 1.
- In the Price field, enter a price for the product. You can enter different prices for different currencies here. You will be able to change the price and create more complicated pricing structures later, once the product has been saved. For more information, please see Product Price Settings.
- Click CREATE. The product detail page (where you can edit the product) will appear.
To configure product fulfillment
In this context, the term fulfillment refers to the method or process by which purchasers receive the value for which they have paid. This may mean providing purchasers with a license key, a product download, or some other means of accessing a licensed product. It is very important to configure appropriate fulfillment actions for each product so that purchasers can receive what they have paid for immediately upon completion of the purchase, or as soon as possible thereafter.
The Fulfillment section of the product detail page includes options to add fulfillment actions and change between a digital product or service and a physical product. If the product requires a physical shipment, see Physical Products below.
- Click ADD FULFILLMENT. The Add Fulfillment Action page will open.
- Select the radio button next to the fulfillment action you want to add, and then click NEXT.
- Generate a License - Selecting this option will allow you to provide a license key to the purchaser. Click Choose a generator... to see a list of the available generation methods and select a method.
- Provide a File Download - Selecting this option will let you upload a product file to be served to customers as a download upon completion of a purchase for this product.
- Create a Signed PDF - Selecting this option will allow you to upload a PDF file that will be stamped by FastSpring with each customer's name and order information; the file can then be served to customers as a download upon completion of a purchase for this product.
- Follow the prompts to complete configuration of the selected fulfillment action.
If the product requires a physical shipment, click CHANGE PRODUCT FORMAT. Then, in the Change Format popup window, select Digital Product / Service, and Shipment or Physical Shipment, and click SAVE.
Note about physical products
To edit a product
When you have completed the initial setup of a product, or upon clicking the tile for any product in the list of products, the product detail page will open.
The following is a listing of the available product fields and their descriptions.
- Product path / product ID - This is shown at the top left-hand corner of the section. It is used to identify the product record internally as well as in a Storefront URL for the Product Page. It cannot be edited following product creation.
Icon - Click this field to upload a product image, such as a box shot or screen shot. Click Choose File and browse to and select an image file on your network or your local computer, and then click SAVE.
Notes about product iconsThe supported image file formats are .png, .jpg and .gif. Storefronts will display an image file up to 256 x 256 pixels in size. If the image you upload is too large or too small, it will be re-sized to fit within this space.
- Display - Edit the product title or display text shown for this product. If your Store supports multiple languages, click the language drop-down and enter the product title in each language.
- Summary - Enter a short summary description of the product in each language supported by your Store. This text is shown on the Homepage and the Product Page in a Web Storefront. This field will accept a fairly long summary, but consider using the Long Description field if you want to provide a lot of text about the product. Note: This field accepts markdown.
- Long Description - This field lets you provide additional text about the product in each supported language. This text can be displayed when a purchaser clicks on the product title or Display name in a Web Storefront. The contents of this field are shown in a Lightbox that overlays the Product Page. Note: This field accepts markdown.
- SKU - Optionally enter an internal SKU ID or part number. This is only used for your tracking purposes in identifying the product.
- EDS - If the optional Extended Download Service (EDS) is enabled for your account, it will be enabled by default for all products that have at least one file download fulfillment action. Products without a download will not have this field displayed; similarly, if EDS is not enabled for your account, this field will not be displayed. If you want to disable EDS for this product, click this field. A popup window will appear, where you can clear the check box labeled Enable for this product, and save your changes. For more information about EDS, please see our Knowledge Base article Extended Download Service (EDS).
- Call to Action - By default, the product action button, which selects the product and adds it to the cart, will be labeled Add. The Call to Action field lets you provide an alternative button label in each supported language. If you select this product as a product option of another product, the Call to Action text entered here will be shown next to this product.
- Post Order Instructions - This field lets you provide text (such as download and / or registration instructions) that will be shown next to this product on the Completion Page following a successful order, and in the customer's email receipt. You can optionally include stylized fulfillment information for the product in this field, as well.
Order and product variables and the "iff" comparison helper can optionally be included in this field in the same way you would edit a Customer Notification template.
If you have added a fulfillment action to your product, you can click the drop-down next to Insert Fulfillment Variable and choose which fulfillment action(s) will be included in the message. For example, if you create a license key fulfillment action for the product, you can click the drop-down selector and choose that fulfillment action, and the variables that are needed to render the license key will be inserted into the field at the cursor's current position, as illustrated in the example below:
NoteBy default, the Completion Page will automatically display license keys, download links and PDF links. Likewise, when the New Email System is enabled, these fulfillment actions will automatically be inserted directly into the email receipt as needed - separately from the Post Order Instructions. Therefore, if you decide to include fulfillment variables here, you might want to adjust the Customer Notification Template to prevent the information from being duplicated / appearing twice.
- This field accepts markdown, which you can use to apply bold, italics and other font effects to the message. You can also include hyperlinks to external pages.
- If your Store supports multiple languages, click the language drop-down and enter the information or instructions in each supported language.
- Pricing - Click here to specify the product price in each supported currency. You can also set options to control the quantity being purchased as well as volume discounts or other types of discounts (e.g. for a temporary promotion). See Product Price Settings and Currencies and Conversions.
- Public/Private - This drop-down selector (at the upper right-hand corner of the section) lets you control whether or not the product is available to external customers. This is set to Public by default, but if you click the drop-down and select Switch to Private, the product will only be purchasable via test orders. A message that says "inaccessible" will be shown when you go to a live Storefront page for the product. In addition, the Links popup window for the product or Storefront will not show Live links for private products.
To test the Product Page for a product, click LINKS near the bottom of the section, and then click one of the provided links to view the Product Page.
To delete a product
- From the Products menu, click the tile of the product you want to delete.
- On the product detail page, click the MORE drop-down menu and select Delete.
- Click OK when prompted to confirm that you want to delete the product.
Product Offers, Product Options and Variations
The links at the bottom of the product settings area let you customize a product in any of these ways:
Add Product Offers, which can be cross-sells or up-sells. A cross-sell offer appears during the purchase process and suggests that a customer add additional related products to the order. By contrast, an up-sell offer suggests that a customer replace the product currently in the cart with a more expensive one. Cross-sells and up-sells can be shown in various locations on the page, depending on Storefront settings. The displayed offer will include the product icon, display name / product title, product summary, price, and any applicable discount.
NoteProduct offers are only displayed on Web Storefronts. If you use a Popup Storefront, the Storefront is not rendered until the customer triggers the checkout process. At that point, the contents of the cart have already been set and there is no opportunity to display product offers directly in the payment info popup. However, you can use the Store Builder Library to control the layout and placement of all products offered on the pages of your website prior to triggering the checkout process / Popup Storefront.
Add Product Options, which are other products that are displayed below this product as substitutes or alternative products, a single-choice additional item, or multiple-choice additional items. These are similar to cross-sells and upsells, but are displayed with only the product name and price and take up less space.
NoteProduct options are only displayed on Web Storefronts . If you use a Popup Storefront , the Storefront is not rendered until the customer triggers the checkout process. At that point, the contents of the cart have already been set and there is no opportunity to display product options directly in the payment info popup. However, you can use the Store Builder Library to control the layout and placement of all products and options offered on the pages of your website prior to triggering the checkout process / Popup Storefront.
Create Variations, which inherit the settings of their parent product but let you override individual settings as needed. The initial product is the "parent product," and the variations you create for that product are "child products." You can use variations to test product discounts or for holiday-related offers, or create a discounted product variation that can then be offered as a cross-sell for a different product, to motivate customers to add additional items to their purchase.
NoteOnly one variation of any given product can be purchased in a single order. For example, if product A has variations A1 and A2, customers can purchase any of the three, but they could not purchase A and A1 in the same transaction, nor A1 and A2, etc. For products to be included in the same order together, they must each be a separate product (not multiple product variations of the same product).
Add Custom Attributes to the product. Attributes can be useful if you would like to pass additional information about the product that is invisible to the customer. Attributes are not included in any reporting, but they are included in certain webhooks and responses to FastSpring API requests. To add product attributes, use the MORE drop-down for the product or variation and choose Custom Attributes (Advanced). (In addition to specify custom attributes here, they can also be set or overridden for each purchase via the Store Builder Library or the FastSpring API.)
NoteThe sum of the number of characters entered for the Key and the Value of product attributes cannot exceed approximately 400,000.
In addition, you can create a Product Bundle, which is a group of products that is sold as a package. The individual items in the bundle can also be sold separately. When purchased, earnings are distributed to the products in the bundle proportionally to their original prices. Only one variation of a particular product can be included in a single bundle. To create a bundle of products, move to the Bundles tab under Products and click .