To achieve virtually unlimited flexibility, product attributes in the Dashboard are controlled using two distinct methods:
- Product data and behavior, including product name, product image, price, and fulfillment options are controlled directly via the Products menu.
- Product display, including all visual aspects of the product other than the base product image, is controlled via the Storefronts menu.
As a result of separating the data and the display, you just set up your product information once; then you play with the way it is presented by tuning your Storefronts. You do not need to manage multiple copies of a single product to have it displayed multiple ways.
|For example, if you want to control...||...use the following menu:|
|the product's name|
|the product's price|
|the product's image|
|the label of the product's action button|
|the size of the product image on the Homepage|
|the product's short description|
|the product's long description|
|the color of the product's link|
|the size of the font used for the product's link|
|which other products are offered as cross-sells|
|the placement of the product's cross-sell offerings|
Products generally fit into one of three primary classifications:
- Products - An individual, standalone product or service for which purchasers pay a single flat price or fee for perpetual use of the product or service
- Bundles - A collection of individual, standalone products or services that are available for purchase at a single, combined flat price or fee for perpetual use of the products or services
- Subscriptions - A product or service for which purchasers make more than one payment, usually on a recurring basis or a pre-defined time-limited basis (e.g. as part of a payment plan).
Fulfilment options and notifications
When an order is completed, a purchased product must be “shipped” to a customer. A number of “shipping options” are available for digital products. Depending on your software or service and the licensing mechanism it uses (if any), you can instruct FastSpring to pull a license key from your server, use a key from the pre-uploaded list, or consult a 3rd-party provider for the license. You can also host your binary with FastSpring—in which case, the Notifications mechanism issues a notification to you when an order is completed but does not “expect” to receive license information from you in return. Notifications can be issued as an HTTP request or via email.