This article applies to Contextual Commerce. (Looking for Classic Commerce documentation?)
Now that you have an understanding of the FastSpring concepts, it is time to start setting up your Store and Storefronts. Once you have logged into the Dashboard, it is highly recommended that you change your FastSpring provided password ( -> Change Password).
After logging in, your FastSpring Dashboard is displayed. The Dashboard provides you with a quick glance at the status of your Store including the amount you can expect to receive at your next FastSpring distribution. From the Dashboard, you can update Store and Storefront settings, add and update products, and once you start processing orders, you will be able to view the order details.
There are four steps to configuring your FastSpring Store:
Create Your Products
In the first step of the setup process, you will create your Products, including the products' fulfillments. This is one of the most important parts of the setup of your store and storefronts. Once you have created your products, you can add the products to your Storefront and determine how they will be displayed to your customers.
Within products, you define and configure your product catalog. FastSpring supports three types of products based on how the product will be purchased:
- Non-recurring payment products have a one-time purchase price. The customer pays a one time single price for the item being purchased, and should be able to access and use the product immediately upon completing a purchase. Depending on the type of product, this may involve issuing a license key, providing a product download, or supplying other types of fulfillment.
- Subscription products may have an a on-going payment schedule. The customer pays a specific amount at intervals that you specify when configuring the product.
- Bundles are a set of products that are purchased together for one price. The price of the bundle will override the price of the individual products. As with other non-subscription products, fulfillment actions should be configured for your bundle so that the customer can access the bundled products immediately upon completion of the purchase.
As you continue to refine your product offerings and Store design, you may want to add cross-sell or up-sell product offers or alternative product options to supplement or add additional value for your customers.
Next, you need to request activation for your Store.
Request Store Activation
firstname.lastname@example.org and providing your company ID and the name of your Store, or by submitting a support request via the support tools.Before your Store can go live and begin processing real customer transactions, you need to request that our support team activate your Store. You can do this by emailing
When we receive your request, our support team will check a few specific things to ensure that the minimum requirements for Store activation have been met. Before requesting Store activation, please review the following list of requirements that our team will look at before activating your Store:
- Your Store must have at least one product configured.
- Your product names must specifically identify what is being purchased. As the merchant and seller of record, FastSpring is actually the party selling your product or service to the consumer - so for compliance, risk, and policy reasons, we have to know exactly what we are selling. Here are some examples of acceptable and unacceptable product names:
|Gold||Security Suite Gold|
|Standard||Acme Download Manager Standard|
|Monthly Subscription||Furious Falcon Monthly Subscription|
- We need to be able to find detailed product information on your website. Ideally, the website URL that you provided when creating the account should link to product pages where our support team can find out exactly what the products are and how they are sold (e.g., one-time purchases, monthly subscriptions, etc.). If for some reason you have a separate website URL for product information, that may be acceptable, but please include that URL with your Store activation request message.
- Each of your non-subscription products must have at least one fulfillment action configured. This may be product downloads, license keys, or even separate fulfillment email messages containing instructions your customer can use to begin using your product or service. The key here is that the customer may be charged for his or her purchase immediately, and we are therefore obligated to provide the product or service to the customer immediately upon completion of the purchase.
Once each of the requirements above has been met, you will be ready to request Store activation.
The next step after that will be to configure your Storefronts.
Fine Tune Your Storefront Design
The Storefronts area provides options for you to customize the customer experience when purchasing your products. There are two types of Storefronts that correspond to how you want to display the cart and checkout process. It may be helpful to read Ways To Checkout With FastSpring and / or the Feature Comparison: Web Storefronts vs. Popup Storefronts to help you make a decision on which method will work best for your organization. When ready, choose Storefronts from the top menu and select the Storefront type you wish to customize.
With the customization options in each Storefront's SETTINGS, you can determine the design for your storefront. Each Storefront type has multiple settings that allow you to determine the size, placement, color, font, and behavior of the storefront. You also have the option of overriding currency and localization options within the Storefront. Before you start making changes to the design, we recommend that you run a test of the Storefront using the default settings. This will provide you with a base view of the storefront. From there you can update the design of the webpages to provide a unique customer experience for your e-commerce website.
Popup Storefronts - whitelisting websites
Please consider reading Adding a Popup Storefront to Your Website and familiarize yourself with the Store Builder Library if you are planning to use Popup Storefronts for checkout. Before you can start testing and using Popup Storefronts you need to contact FastSpring Support with the names of all websites that will use a Popup Storefront. Popup Storefronts will not open on domains that have not been explicitly whitelisted.
Once you have customized your Storefront, you will want to link to your Storefront from existing websites, apps, or social media. This will be accomplished through the use of a URL. The URL is composed of a domain name and may also contain a subdomain. FastSpring provides a unique domain name for each Store. The domain name includes your Store name followed by ".onfastspring.com". This domain name becomes the URL that links to your default Storefront. Each Storefront added to your Store will have its name added as a subdomain under your default Storefront. You will use these URLs to link to your Storefronts. Our article Getting Started With FastSpring contains an overview of the URLs used with FastSpring Stores; more details and specific naming conventions can be found in Linking to Your Storefronts.
Now that you have created your products and fine tuned your Storefront design, it's time to implement analytics and integrate with third parties.
Implement Analytics and Integration (Optional)
FastSpring provides many integration options within its e-commerce solution:
- Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics support for tracking customer behavior.
- Using the Store Builder Library and / or the FastSpring API to integrate Storefronts into your own website.
- Integrations to integrate with third-party services.
Each Storefront comes with its own Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics configurations. You can use one or both of these integrations to help you track your customer behavior. You must have an existing corresponding Google account to use these features and it will require you to add the events to your Google and FastSpring configurations.
Within the FastSpring application there are multiple events that can be used to trigger communication between your website or application and FastSpring. Integrating with FastSpring provides an overview of the options available, from using browser or server webhooks to API integration. Using the Store Builder Library, API integration, and webhooks you can implement a connection to or from FastSpring at almost any point in the cart or checkout process.
FastSpring provides the ability to extend your FastSpring Store with third party vendor products in addition to Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics. The Extensions Tab provides a list of the third parties with existing FastSpring integration. Select an extension and provide your third party account details to create the link between the selected third party and FastSpring. If needed, you can create a custom extension to connect with a third party not currently in the Extensions catalog.
Now that you have completed the set up of your products and customized your Storefronts you are ready to test your FastSpring Store.